The dSHIFT Admin tool is a web based tool that can give any site administrator “one click” access to a set of useful administrative tools. This tool can give the administrator the options to:
- Check access of any security principle (a user or a group) on any securable object inside SharePoint like SharePoint Web, SharePoint Site, SharePoint List, SharePoint list item.
- See some general info about a SharePoint site like its accumulative size, site template, total list count etc.
- Add a web part to all sites in the hierarchy.
- Bulk modify the Navigation links.
- Ability to directly export information like users, permissions and hierarchy etc. to Microsoft Excel format.
- See some general info about a SharePoint list like its accumulative size, total item count, list template and associated content type etc.
How to Use it?
Usage of The dSHIFT Admin Tool is to simply deploy it as a solution via one click solution deployment. Once deployed, dSHIFT Admins will automatically access to its various functions through Action menu whose icon will be available on top right of the SharePoint site. Only Administrators will be able to access it.
Through Action menu, SharePoint Admin can access various tools like:
Show User Security
This functionality will allow the site administrator to view the security of any SharePoint user on the site. There is option available to view security in all securable objects of the site like lists and list items. All securable objects where the supplied user does not have rights are marked as red in the result set.
This functionality will allow the site administrator to view the access rights of a SharePoint group on all securable objects on the site. There is option available for excluding sub-objects in the search which will also speedup the query results.
Show List Information
This functionality will help the SharePoint administrator in finding out basic information about the target list like total size, template etc. This information can be useful for the administrator for different reasons.
Show Site Information
This includes information like total size of entire site hierarchy, total lists, site templates etc. This information can be useful to the administrator for a variety of reasons. This functionality will help the administrator in finding out basic information about the site.
This functionality will allow administrators with the option to add webparts to the page using few options such as to either add to welcome page or a particular page on the site, create a new list view webpart or add a list that has a particular title. The selected webparts are added to the selected pages at runtime. Publishing pages are checked out and after the web parts have been added they are checked back in. Optional parameters are “Zone ID” and “Zone Index”.
Once this information is provided and the form is submitted, you are taken to a progress page where the progress is shown for this operation. The pages that have already been checked-out are excluded from operation as overriding the checkout can result in Loss of data.